If you or your child needs to have your teeth straightened, it can be overwhelming. There are many different options as well as opinions out there. The best way to know what is right in your situation is to visit with an orthodontist, who is someone trained in treating irregularities in the teeth and jaw. Schedule a consultation with our knowledgeable orthodontist here in Shreveport to learn more about the Damon System. This tooth straightening system combines many benefits with very few drawbacks, making it the best choice for many people.
Why Bother Straightening Your Teeth?
Some people are quick to dismiss the recommendation that they get braces at all. There are many reasons why this is a bad idea, however. Multiple studies over the years have proven that people notice other people’s smile first. Unfortunately, crooked smiles can leave people with a negative first impression. A straight, white, healthy smile makes it easier to do the opposite. There are other reasons to consider braces as well. They include:
- Straight teeth will be easier to keep clean
- Straight teeth make it easier to speak clearly
- You will be able to smile wider and with more confidence
- Straightening the teeth can actually enhance facial features
Is it Common to Need Your Teeth Straightened?
Absolutely! The estimate of people wearing braces of some sort in the United States is 4.5 million people. A vast majority of these people are children, with those between the ages of six and eighteen making up 80% of that number. Investing in your child’s smile can set them up for a lifetime of dental success. At the same time, if you regret not having your teeth straightened as a child, there is no time like the present!
What is the Damon System?
Damon braces are a method of teeth straightening that involves self-ligating appliances. This means that there is far less friction involved than with traditional metal braces. They also have the advantage of being more aesthetically appealing, making them very competitive with invisible aligners.
With traditional braces, brackets are adjusted and tightened as the teeth are forced into the desired position. With the Damon System here in Shreveport, the teeth can move naturally. They still are realigning in the desired way, the process is just far more comfortable.
What Does Self-Ligating Mean?
The fact that they are self-ligating is the Damon System’s biggest selling point, but many people have no idea what this means. O-rings are used to attach the braces securely to your teeth. This leaves your teeth free to move at a natural pace. Traditional braces use elastic ties in order to force teeth into position. Despite using less force and causing less friction, self-ligating braces have proven themselves to work faster here in Shreveport. High-tech and gentle titanium wires are all that are required to move your teeth into place.
What Sets the Damon System Apart from Traditional Braces?
On top of how the teeth are moved, there are several other key differences between the Damon System and traditional metal braces. The list of advantages is quite long and includes:
- Less friction: When the teeth rub up against each other, they can cause erosion. The last thing you want when straightening your teeth is to be damaging them. Due to the self-ligating brackets found used in the Damon System, your teeth experience far less friction.
- More attractive: The Damon System is available with clear brackets, making them hard to spot in the mouth if that is a priority for the wearer.
- Faster: Despite being more gentle on the teeth, this system manages to treat crooked teeth faster than traditional braces in many cases. In fact, one study saw people finishing their treatment 7.2 months quicker when using Damon Braces.
- Easier to clean: Damon Braces have fewer places for food and bacteria to hide away. Elastic ties, in particular, can harbor a lot of nasty stuff. No elastic ties means that you do not have to struggle as much to maintain proper oral hygiene while wearing them.
- Fewer maintenance visits: Since the brackets do not require frequent manual adjustments, you may find yourself needing half as many maintenance visits as you would with traditional braces.
- Less likely to require headgear: Palatal expanders and headgear were once fairly common practices in order to create space. Although not unheard of, you are far less likely to need headgear in order to get the smile of your dreams with the Damon System.
The Damon System Compared to Invisible Aligners
Those who are interested in an incredibly discreet treatment often consider Invisalign and other invisible aligners first. The Damon System offers you something called Damon Clear braces. It combines all the great things about the Damon System with the advantages that use to be exclusive to invisible aligners.
Damon Clear braces works the same way as other Damon braces but uses tieless braces and clear, high-tech archwires. When comparing this treatment to invisible aligners, you will find some major differences. In fact, the only real thing they have in common is that they are not visible in your mouth. The advantages that Damon Clear braces has over invisible aligners include:
- Everyone is considered a candidate (invisible aligners often cannot treat severe cases)
- There is a lower relapse rate (where teeth move back to their original position)
- They are more comfortable overall (many people report the first few days of every set of aligners to be uncomfortable)
- It does not affect the clarity of your speech
- Is an effective treatment for complicated cases, including severe crowding
Invisible aligners are removable, whereas Damon System Clear braces are not. While this may seem like a point for the aligners, it is really more of a drawback. In order for the invisible aligners to be effective, they must be worn at least 20-22 hours a day. If you are a teenager, it may be difficult to find the willpower to keep them in even when they are uncomfortable. Damon System Clear braces are in the mouth working around the clock to help straighten the teeth.
The Damon System for Adults
Adults here in Shreveport often do not consider teeth straightening. There are many reasons that improving your oral health is always a good idea:
- It can balance your facial features a good you an overall better aesthetic
- A wider smile that you are more confident in flashing
- No more dark triangles forming in the skin by the corners of your mouth
- An improved facial profile
- It can smooth out the cheek contours
Plus, straighter and less crowded teeth! If you find yourself reluctant to smile showing your teeth, consider the Damon System to boost your confidence.
Damon Braces For Kids: The Damon System for Children
As noted earlier, the majority of braces wearers in our country are under the age of 18. Wearing braces can be an intimidating idea for many kids. Knowing that they are getting a treatment method that is more comfortable and will require them to have braces for less time can be very reassuring. For their parents, knowing that their child will be more comfortable and that it will be easier to keep their teeth clean can be quite a relief as well.
What to Expect with the Damon System
Many people want to know how long they will have to wear their Damon braces. This obviously depends on many different factors, but on average, it is less time than you would have to wear traditional braces. Studies conducted by Damon saw participants wearing Damon braces for an average of 20.3 months, compared to traditional metal braces, which took an average of 27.5 months. These same studies saw people needing approximately 16.2 maintenance visits, compared to 31 with traditional braces. That is nearly half!
Pain is one of the biggest concerns people have when it comes to straightening their teeth. Thanks to the self-ligating brackets, the Damon System causes people little to no discomfort. Further research by Damon found that people rated their discomfort level with traditional braces at 4 out of 10. Those with self-ligating Damon braces rated their discomfort at 1.3 This, in combination with needing to wear them for a shorter time period, makes this the obvious option for many people.
Are Tooth Extractions Required with the Damon System?
This is an area where there seems to be some misinformation out there. Sometimes, extractions will be necessary for the Damon System. However, it is far less likely to be the case with this option than it is with traditional braces. Damon braces use what they call “biologically sensible forces” in order to move your teeth in a natural, pain-free way. If it turns out extractions will be necessary, they are done in a way that ensures your new smile will be symmetrical and attractive.
Learn More About the Damon System
To sum it all up, the Damon System is quicker, more comfortable, and requires fewer appointments than traditional braces. This system is also more effective for a wider range of people than invisible aligners. If you are interested in learning more about this option, feel free to reach out and make an appointment with Nasser Orthodontics. At our convenient locations in Shreveport and Bossier City, our caring and dedicated team of professionals will be pleased to explain this option to you in greater detail and answer any questions you may have. Contact us today to set up your consultation – we look forward to speaking with you!